Leo Hunter was a barber for 51 years and engaged in barber-connected activities for 72 years. He helped to establish guidelines and was a co-founder of the barber school at West Kentucky Technical College in 1941. He taught barbering at West Kentucky Technical College. He served on the Paducah, Ky., Civil Service Commission and helped establish the Rosary Chapel in Paducah.
He was active in Knights of Columbus and Knights of Peter Claver (a charitable institution in Louisville, Ky.). During his career, Mr. Hunter trained and licensed more than 1,500 barbers, some of whom he recruited to attend barber school. In 1998, he was inducted into the Barber Hall of Fame.